Hawken School is committed to doing school differently and better. This means developing an inclusive and accepting community where adults feel empowered to design educational experiences for students that deepen their learning, engaging their emotions as well as their intellects. Hawken School seeks culturally competent employees who are committed to equity and social justice, comfortable taking risks, and who embrace a growth mindset. Our employees are constantly looking for new ways to inspire student curiosity while remaining dedicated to nurturing compassion and kindness in our students.
Hawken School is seeking a staff accountant to perform regular duties within the Business Office.
● Assists in maintaining financial records and ensuring that financial transactions are properly recorded
● Verifies the accuracy of vendor invoices and confirms that the correct general ledger account codes are used
● Reconciliations with the general ledger
● Performs cashiering duties, including the oversight of petty cash allowances, the preparation and delivery of bank deposits, and other financial tasks needed
● Responds to external vendors and internal managers regarding all aspects of the accounts payable process, including processing invoices and assisting with bank account reconciliations
● Generates payment to vendors on a routine schedule and match the check with backup for review by the Director of Finance
● Inspects paid and unpaid invoices including cleared payment inquiries and check voiding to maintain accurate files and records according to company standards
● Assists with Student Billing including recording payments, adding transactions, and reconciling rosters with Admissions
● Tracks and creates reports for fixed assets activity recorded during the year
● Other duties of a general bookkeeping / accounting nature
● Bachelor’ degree in accounting, business or equivalent combination of education, skills, and certifications is required.
● Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
● Solid organizational and time management skills
● Proficiency with industry standard accounting software, including Excel. (Blackbaud’s Financial Edge a plus)
● Excellent problem-solving skills and work ethics
● Three years of general financial transaction experience
● A willingness and eagerness to assist in the life of the School
● Experience working independently as well as in a team environment
Founded on the ideal that “the better self shall prevail and each generation introduce its successor to a higher plane of life,” Hawken School is a coeducational independent day school with over 1,600 students from toddler through grade 12. Our four campuses within 25 minutes of downtown Cleveland provide a demanding and integrated course of study in a diverse and dynamic environment.
This position is on the Gates Mills campus located in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland and situated on over 300 acres featuring sprawling lawns, wooded trails, and both modern and historic buildings. To execute the school’s forward-focused missions, Stirn Hall – Hawken’s state-of-the-art academic building – offers expansive classroom space and common spaces, fabrication and media labs, a science wing, a learning commons, a writing center, and more. The adjacent building known as the White House serves as the primary dining facility at Hawken’s Gates Mills campus and is a stunning reminder of Hawken’s historic charm.
The Gates Mills campus also features an expansive athletic complex that includes two gymnasiums, one of the best competitive swimming pools in Ohio, a weight room, and a wrestling room. Surrounding grounds include eight tennis courts, a stadium, a track, artificial turf fields, and a high and low ropes course with 15 separate challenges.
To learn more about us, visit www.hawken.edu.
INTERESTED Please send a resume to: Tina Moore, Director of HR at HR@Hawken.edu
Hawken School is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting all forms of diversity in the workplace and in our student body. We strongly urge all qualified individuals to apply.⟵ Back to Job Board